Monday, June 16, 2008

We had 2 projects while we were there. One was re-roofing the caretaker's house and the other was screening in the shelter house where Scott & Becky (who run the orphanage) hold their home group meetings. This pix is me breaking up concrete and clay tile taken off the roof. I was taking out some ingrained frustrations, I guess, cuz I ended up breaking the sledgehammer. Ooops!
This is what we did for three days.......I felt like I couldn't get screening out of my brain. I have to say, my hand strength greatly diminished over those days.. until I was using both hands to roll the screen into the grooves in the frame. The biggest challenge, however, was avoiding the fire ant nests. I was not good at this and have the bites to prove it. I may be heading to the doctor, to get prednisone to relieve the itching. Those buggers LOVED me!
The trip to the grocery store was very educational. Not sure this is really batmilk (can you imagine the bat "milking" process????), but worth a picture, anyway. Given the delicacies of the Brazilians, batmilk wouldn't be a stretch.
To the average eye, this looks like a log. Not so. This is a skinned anaconda. The story goes.......this guy attacked the dog of one of the families who live on the river. (For future reference, we call these people "river people" and it is not a derogatory phrase) The husband and wife killed it and skinned it. It was missing it's head, but still was 19 feet long!!!!! The next day as we came on it again, it had bloated to the point of explosion. That smell was burned into my nose the rest of the day. Nothing like it.

2 comments:

natther said...

Keep posting… I can't get enough of your photos and stories!
The tarantulas 'bought did me in, then saw the anaconda! Yes, Monica, you have come a long way, considering your fear of spiders!
What was so scary about the Komvis, other than that it looks like it might tip easily?

Schreiber family said...

I guess it wasn't so much the vehicle itself, but the way they were driven. There really aren't any road rules there. You go where you want, and assume people will move by the time you get close. I'll post more about that later. EEEK!!!