Tuesday, June 17, 2008

On Wednesday and Thursday, we took a boat trip down the Mojul Rover, which is a tributary or the Amazon. The PAZ organization plants churches up and down the river. They will then take a group of nurses, EMTs or whatever is available to clinics set up in the churches. These people have little or no access to medical care, so this is a great service for them. Earlier in the trip, the organizer of this trip, Ken, was debriefing us regarding what we could expect on the trip. A team-member, Paul, told Ken I was an LPN. Ken then told me I could stay with Becky and be the other "station" as far as diagnosing the problem and deciding what the treatment would be. This was very exciting and terrifying at the same time. I haven't used my nursing skills in this type of capacity in over 9 years. I prayed intently that 1.) I wouldn't ultimately further injure or exacerbate some one's initial problem 2. ) I wouldn't look like an idiot, by not knowing what the hell I was doing. "Please don't let me look like an idiot, please don't let me look like an idiot....."





This is what we saw as the boat docked. They were all waiting with smiles..........:)


Prior to the trip, Kae (in green) received donations of "care packages". They had basic necessity type of products: shampoo, soap, toothpaste, brush, etc. plus a small toy. She had over 50 of these bags and items. She also purchased rubber bracelets with colors corresponding with faith words. The other bracelets had beads on them that the kids could put together themselves. This was such a hit!! It kept the kids busy while they waited for their turn.









The parent would sit down and tell Becky or Noami (in black) what the problem was, and they would translate it to me. We gave out a lot of antibiotics, Tylenol and Monistat. Paul was able to hear a prolapsed valve on a kid, but FORGOT to let me in on the action!! Just kidding, Paul!!! :) Anyway, the children were adorable!!
This is Emele. She stole my heart. Mom thought her brother had put something in her ear and wanted me to check it out. I did and thankfully, no rocks, food or bugs. However, there was a lot of "gunk". As Ken tried to scoop it out, Emele laid there completely still. She did not squirm, fuss or cry. She was such a brave little one!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where else can you practice medicine in shorts, tank top, and flip-flops? Wish you were with us in Camara where we saw 233 in 5.5hrs. Peace, Paul