Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Our most recent dilemma was that our Minnie had bad manners and with the addition of Cody, they just got worse. She was unpredictable and would kick out at us for no apparent reason. Since we want the horses to be a family experience, we had to find a solution. My thoughts were that I was sad to have to get rid of her, but if the kids couldn't even go to the barn for fear Minnie would act up, what were our options? I felt uncomfortable with the idea of selling her, knowing about her bad manners and who would be ok with that? Plus, what if someone bought her and didn't treat her well?

Eric came home one night and said a deal had been struck. Our farrier wanted Minnie. He already knows her, cuz he shoes her. He had access to property where he could keep her and ride the piss out of her, which is exactly what she needs! Excellent!!! Since Mark had bought yet another horse, they had to make room. We would get Dixie (Minnie's Mom and George's Gma) when Minnie goes to the farrier's. This is a great deal, too, because when we take Cody to the shoots, George wouldn't be left alone. I was ecstatic - it couldn't have worked out any better!!



Dixie and Cody saying "Hi". They are great buds, now. No issues at all.
Not a great picture, but Dixie is in the front paddock, while Minnie and George are on the other side of the fence. Take the halters off Minnie and Dixie, and you cannot tell them apart. For real.

Minnie all trailer'ed and ready to go to her new home. Heartbreaking, for sure. George was upset at first, but once turned loose, he forgot, mostly. He and Dixie had a few days of adjustment, but they are getting along great, now. I hesitated to interfere in their process of figuring out their pecking order. But day 2, I felt George needed Cody's friendship, so I put the boys together when I turned them out. It's been nice to be able to go to the barn and work with the horses without being on edge, hoping Minnie wasn't in a "bad mood" that day. Minnie seemed very content with her new home, too. I think everything worked out for the best for sure. yay!


2 comments:

natther said...

So many great posts! Love Al's new hairdo, love that you are all getting into the Ride 'n Shoots, great photos. However, I do have a problem with putting old mares out to pasture, so to speak. Even if they are old b...... Guess I'll start protecting my territory and watch my 'bad mood.' as well :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MAX! You're the coolest 10 year old I know.

annieg said...

I am so happy Monica! I know I was freaking out and worried that one of the kids would get kicked in the head! That picture of Minnie getting ready to go made me sad, though in looking at it again, she doesn't really look all that said. Actually, she looks like she is saying, "Hasta La Vista, Baby." She'll be so happy and so will all of you now!