Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Labor of love.

Ally put "desk" on her Christmas list. We looked into some that Value City had, (employee discount!!!!!) but I didn't like any of them. I had one in mind, I just had to scour the Internet to see who had one and who had it the cheapest. However, Eric saw this beauty by the side of the road with a price of $40. We went to take a look, and I fell in love. It's almost exactly what I had envisioned. It's beautiful in my eyes. The detail, the mirror, truly one-of-a-kind. Of course, it needed a little TLC, so in my spare time, I sanded, puttied, primed, taped and painted. The only thing left to do is to find/order drawer knobs and haul it up to Ally's room. I will share the pictures once it's all done and in place.
Now, after looking at a ton of different knobs to replace the ones that were on the desk, Ally decided on some she insists she likes. I don't. There were so many pretty horse pulls, running horses, rod-iron, hand-painted, pretty drawer pulls/knobs and she picks pink and purple Pegasus knobs. *sigh* My dilemma is whether or not I lie to her and say those knobs are no longer available, or go with her choice and turn my nose up at the knobs that made my pretty desk ugly?
Oh yeah, and if the child wants to do her homework at this desk, we will supply her with a blanket to put over the mirror so she doesn't sit and stare at herself for an hour. You think I'm kidding? Nope. She'll do it. "Ally, are you done with your homework?" "Ummm............no, but I've learned that my face has 1, 042 different expressions! "

Before

1 comment:

kim said...

Monica - I LOVE it. Can't wait to see the after pic...

And the mirror - is that a girl thing?? Bailey is EXACTLY the same.... I worry she's going to develop dysmorphic disorder if she doesn't stop. ;)