Monday, August 30, 2010

Mutt training.....week 2

The pooches are doing really well. They have their moments when they forget where they are supposed to sit and stay, but for the most part, they are eager to please and are doing what we ask of them.

Boo, aka; the runner, is really responding to the off-leash walks. Today, I took them to the barn and Boo stayed with me the entire time. Normally, he'd have been gone within the first 30 seconds. I see the joys of this already. Sometime soon, we will be playing and enjoying the dogs' company anytime we go outside. This is good.

All the great outcomes of the training isn't without it's challenges. They need exercise, and while I wholeheartedly agree, time and upcoming Ohio winters are not on our side. Once Max starts school, he will be getting on the bus or I will be driving him to school anytime between 6:50 and 7: 20 am. Then, Jay and Al will need to be heading out to the bus between 7:50, or we'll be piling into the suburban around 8:30. All this while getting breakfasts, running after the maniac, dressing, organizing lunches, homework, etc. I get up at 6:00 to start my day and although I will gladly take the dogs for a run with me, come winter this chick will NOT be running in 20 degree weather. Do I bundle up Viv so that I can walk the dogs in freezing temperatures? No. I'm contemplating training the dogs to run on the treadmill, but I'm not sure that's the best plan, either. As much of a challenge exercising the dogs is, and will be, especially with a toddler who cannot be left alone for even a minute, I'm sure this is one of those things that will work itself out. My "planner brain" has a hard time not stressing about how I will figure this out, however. I am grateful that this is all taking place at a time when the kids are home to help out in these early stages. They have been a huge help, as usual!

No comments: