Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I posted earlier that we lost and found Spanky. We knew he wasn't eating and tried many different things to get him going again. I finally called a place that does reptiles and does it well. Apparently, our set-up for Spanky was all wrong. I set out for Columbus Monday morning to get a new set-up. I checked on Spanky, and the poor guy wasn't looking too good. I broke many speed limits getting there and the woman at the store was great and very knowledgeable. She said it sounded like he was stressed out after being out for so long. I got a new tank, heater, sand, vitamins, etc. I fly back home and I was too late. I couldn't believe it. Now, my reaction could have been highly hormonal, however, I'd like to think of it as true grief for a beloved pet lizard. I was sobbing and heaving with a little hyperventilation thrown in for good measure. A hot mess. I had to call Eric to tell him and barely got the words out. A few friends called (poor Ann and Michele) and I had to keep apologizing for crying. It was unbearable. It wasn't only my own sadness, but I had to tell Jay when he got home from school. He knew Spank wasn't doing well, but I had told him we would do everything we could for him. When he got off the bus, I went out to him. As soon as he saw my face, he said, "Uh oh." Then it occured to him what exactly it was. *Yes, little child, I'm about to break your heart* He cried and cried. Ally cried, and Max tried to be strong, but there were tears. Jay then made sure he found a peaceful place to bury him. I asked him if I could take pictures of the process, but his reply nearly killed me. He said, "Well, I really don't want to see this again." Well spoken, little man. However, I did take a couple photos of Jay painting Spanky's tombstone and making sure it was perfect.



Rest in peace, Spanky. You were possibly the most loved reptile and will be greatly missed..........

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought I would get so emotional over a lizard, but your post had me bawling. I had to shut my office door so people wouldn't see me.
Seriously, seeing that picture of Jay working on the tombstone broke my heart. I'm starting to cry now just thinking about it!

My thoughts are with you in your time of grief.

Schreiber family said...

Thank you.
The only reason I have the pictures I do, was because I had a zoom lense. Then, I snuck a couple of Jay and Max.

tfdchief said...

My sincere condolences to Jay, Max, Ally and you. Not sure about Eric. It's natural to become very attached to a pet. If Chris would happen to respond it may brighten things up a little! Love, Papa John

Schreiber family said...

I'm wondering if Chris is a little hurt that there wasn't this kind of reaction when the reptile that was named after him, died. We did love Chris-the-newt, but we only had him a couple months.

Raquel said...

Joseph was very sad to hear Jay's geicko died. It doesn't matter if it is a dog, cat, mouse or lizard. Pets become part of our family and it hurts when they die.
Love,
The Dufours