Saturday, October 18, 2008

Today I picked Mom up from the airport. We did a little shopping, then headed home. I asked Mom if she wanted to stop by the barn first, to see the horses. As we head down the road, I see Eric walking along the side of the road. He had what I thought were the dogs' leashes in his hand. I figured, "Damn, the dogs ran away, again." I then noticed that they weren't leashes but lead ropes. Shit! So, Mom drives the kids to the house (about 125 yards away). Our two neighbors, Eric and me - all trying to wrangle two horses. Quite a sight. They've only gotten out one other time, and our neighbor was able to walk right up to them. However, this time, the neighbors three dogs, one horse and two cows might have put a small wrench into those plans. After awhile, Eric got close enough to throw a couple apples to them. "Apples? Oooh!! Yum!" They are suckers for apples. We finally got them back to the barn. Now, I really wish I could have been there to see the whole thing go down. Eric said he opened a gate on the far side of the barn to get a big ladder through. Minnie saw this and came around the corner at full speed. Eric didn't have time to close the gate, but considered throwing the ladder at her. Nope, not a good idea, so out she went. George made a loop around the pasture and said, "Oh, HELL no". He jumped the fence to get out with Mama! Well, they're home and George only has a small scratch on his leg from his leap. I tell you, it's never a dull moment around here!!!!

2 comments:

natther said...

I know it was scary and frustrating, but I have to say, those horses running as hard as they could around that field was beautiful! I'm just glad it didn't go on for hours - you all would have been exhausted.

Give Minnie & George an extra apple today from G-ma.

And give the kids extra hugs and kisses, as well. I miss you even more.

kim said...

OH Wow!! Mom is visiting??!! Sorry I missed it - I was without a computer!!
Sorry about the horse predicament - but what an exiting arrival welcome for Ma Miller! ;)
Hope you all had an awesome week!

*note to ma miller - you are welcome to visit us anytime, too!!! :) We will have to come by the town of T sometime!