Thursday, November 20, 2008

I know you all are eagerly awaiting an update on how Cody is doing :) Well, Cody is great. He's a sweet, loving horse. Minnie on the other hand...... ARGH! If she were protecting George in a very maternal effort to keep this new male from harming him...I get that. However, it's not that. She is just pissed off he's here, period. When Cody comes near her or her food or her area or the barn, etc. she pins her ears back and attacks. The bucking has apparently subsided to biting. Eric noticed last night that Cody has many new scars from her.

Kicked him hard here.

Numerous bite marks.
So, this is what we've resorted to, among other things. She's wearing a muzzle to keep her from biting Cody. At night, Eric pins her in the barn in her own stall so Cody has a chance to seek shelter. If forced to choose between my kids/horses, I would say leave Cody and George and Minnie can find a new home. Would I do that? No. She's just used to being alpha female and will have to suffer some consequences. I am now ready to whip her ass anytime she acts up. Bright side? They smell so good. They are beautiful and they are like doggies, wanting affection and love (George and Cody, anyway) So worth it.


3 comments:

natther said...

Oh, Monica, those pictures of Cody just make me ill. Is there such a thing as an equine 'time out?' Will Minnie chill after being with him for awhile?

I never thought of horse personalities as being as diverse and strong as children's, but it certainly makes sense. Treat your critters like you have your kids and I'm sure they'll be fine - Max, Jay and Al certainly are!

Schreiber family said...

I HOPE she just gets used to him. The funny thing is, is that Cody definitely has a size advantage of her. He could so put her in her place. But, he's sweet and docile and is letting her rule. If worse comes to worse, we'll just separate them for good. Yeah, they are like my babies - can't really play favorites, but then again, I don't have a human brat like her! :)

Meleah said...

Holy moly I have the hardest time signing in so I can comment on your blog. Mostly due to my incompotence. I don't know how to spell that word.
Aaaaanyway....Minnie sounds like she's kind-of a bitch! Maybe you should have named her Diva. Or Queenie.
Poor Cody. Do you whisper in his ear that he should show her who's boss just once?