Tuesday, April 15, 2008

BRAZIL, HERE I COME!!!!
So, I have a huge adventure coming up.....I am leaving for Castanhal, Brazil June 6th. I will return June 14th. A group of people from our church went last year, and I really wanted to go. However, the amount of money you need to go, just seemed impossible, so I didn't go. This year, Eric told me to get the hell... out!! (just kidding.... not really....well, a little) Anyway, I committed to going, and have since regretted it a couple times. I began to let doubts enter....."What if something happens to the kids while I'm gone?" "What if I get sick down there?" "Am I christian enough?" But, I am pushing those thoughts out of my head. I am really getting excited!!!
Our group will be working with missionaries connected with Arms Of Love (www.armsoflove~brazil.org) They are building/rennovating a complex that will house orphaned children. It is acres of land that is used efficiently to grow their own food, farm their own fish..etc. Their first house is done, and there may be children there by the time we get there. We believe we will be working on the caretaker's house and also screening in a shelter on the property.
We will also be taking a boat ride down the Moju River, which is a tributary of the Amazon. Last year, an EMT that was with the group, cut gangrene out of a woman's leg. Who knows what would have happened if he hadn't done that. These people lack so many of the basic needs we all take for granted. Initially, I was thinking, "Hey, I could give a couple shots"................ Cutting infection out of a leg?......o....k.......and yeah, I've seen Grey's Anatomy..........I could do brain surgery!! Although, I wasn't actually watching McDreamy's..hands...........
Now that the trip is only a couple months away, we are meeting as a group a little more often to make sure we all :
1. Have our passports ...~ Check
2. Keeping up with the fundraising.....(ugh)~Check.
3. Getting our immunizations...~eek.
4. Learning some Portugese...~eek.
So, I still have some work to do, here. I get the yellow fever vaccine on April 24th. I'm still undecided about the hepatitis A. It is food-bourne, so my plan is to just not eat. Cool, need to lose weight, anyway!! No one took the malaria pills last year, and everyone came out fine.
As far as the Portugese, my brain is apparently at capacity for learning new things. I just made flash cards to study, but I believe the most important phrase I need to learn is:
Eu preciso de um me`dico (que fale ingl`es) translation: I need a doctor(who speaks English)
Just kidding......kinda..... not really. I really wanted to find a Portugese website where I could download some phrases to my iPod. Well, haven't actually gotten that far. Let's all say....procrastination?????!!!!
The kids are nervous about me going because................they are afraid of a form of torture called....work! One joking comment was made by Eric that they'll have NO fun while I'm gone. He will make them work the whole time. Those words have been reverberating in their brains. It is hilarious. I assured them I will have a "talk" with him before I leave! :)
All in all, I'm ecstatic about this opportunity and want to thank all of you who have so generously contributed to my fundraising.....loathe the fundraising!! I am praying for a safe trip for everyone and safety for all the family members left behind.
Wish me luck on my biggest adventure, yet!! ( You know, besides the giving birth, moving 5 times in 5 years, starting a new career......) :) :):)

2 comments:

kim said...

BRAZIL?!?! Wow!! What an adventure! That is awesome ~ what a fabulous experience. How many people are in the group? I can't wait to hear all about it and see pictures! Incredible ~ I will be thinking of you while you are there! Don't worry about the kids - I am sure they will have a good time with Dad. And they will so appreciate you when you come home! You are setting a selfless example for them by serving others~

:) Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

This is an opportunity of a lifetime, and you'll have an amazing time. Not only will you be helping people, but you'll also make Eric realize how much you do at home--hopefully you'll return to a very appreciative husband. One can always hope. ;)